Thursday, August 23, 2007

Episode 07: "The Introduction, Pt. 2" (+)


So that's me, post-naked.

This is me at Shabbat dinner, taking a picture of you.
Smile.

The rest of that weekend is so huge that it's all blurring together. At sundown, we had our Shabbat service. The men were separated from the women and a guy or two at a time would lead prayer, all in Hebrew. Since I had no idea what anyone was saying, I used the time to pray privately. As the service continued, we turned as a group to face different directions, although I was unfamiliar with what was behind this part of the ritual. The prayers were sung, really, some sounding solemn, others more celebratory. At certain points we danced in a circle some more. (One of my friends arrived at the meeting extremely drunk already, kind of disrupting the service and the first to start dancing when it came time.) My friend Nicky clued me into some of the meanings of the prayers we said, which he gets plenty of cool points for. I really appreciated it. The Shabbat felt like my first honest, intimate introduction to Jewish celebration and culture.

It was an exciting, foreign and awe-inspiring kickoff to Shabbat. I think somewhere in the mix of prayer I gave some thought to my faith versus Judaism. I know I'm about to get into potentially offensive waters here, but stay with me.

Hearing the people around me praying in Hebrew with such dedication and reverence pushed me into a state of humility I hadn't fully known before. Up until that point, I've tried my best to be accepting and respectful of other religions, but I think I have more of a reason to, now. Because as the weekend unfolded, starting with this one, long ritual, I realized that the people I was with loved God just as much as I did. Typing it out, it sounds too obvious and probably a little arrogant. My first instinct is to say, "Of course I knew that." But the scarier truth might be that I actually didn't. What's more, I'd never experienced true inundation with another religion before, even if this one was brief. And in a way I think I'd been in a sorry state of Ignorant beforehand.

I'm not sure if I'm articulating this too well. Put on your Christian caps with me for a second. You grow up being told, "Christ is Lord," "Christ is Lord." It becomes status quo. Despite the illogic of it, the evidence against it, the other faiths that are just as vibrant and urgent with a need to know God, Christ is Lord. Meaning: how can "they" [Jews, Muslims, whatever] turn their backs on God?

But during that service...no one was. I think we were literally turning in circles to face him.

Be patient with me--it's 11:17 and I'm beyond tired. I know everything I've said, you could have put together from just knowing what "politically correct" means. But I think something bigger than "politically correct" is happening, here. A Jewish girl named Jody expressed her confusion to me about Christians having three Gods (the Holy Trinity). That is a pretty silly idea, no? A Jewish girl named Suzy said to me that Biblical prophecy marks the Messiah as a descendant of David (one of the gospels says he's not). Screw the details, even. Every time there was a meal (and each one was a Jewish event), I could see how much love there was in the room for God, at the very least from the Orthodox guys. Meaning my point of reference in growing up Christian, that other religions have somehow fallen short of loving God, may need a touch-up.

I still believe that Jesus represents the highest ethics God has to offer. I still believe that he is an incarnation of God and a symbol of mankind's restoration. I believe, and feel, that Jesus has brought me closer to God. But something is changing--in a way I can see now is beyond my particular skill for words. All of my ranting above, I know, is common knowledge--but somehow it feels fresh to me.

This was going to be an entry much more preoccupied with chronicling events. I haven't told you about how much I hope to emulate Nicky's warm and welcoming demeanor during Shabbat. I haven't told you about my talk with the ex-Mormon/new Jew, who hates the fact that Christians say they have faith while the Jews have works. He said that Jews have faith too--something I believe has been resting in my intellectual blind spot for years. I haven't told you about my first substantial taste of wine, the tour of Tzfat and its synagogues, the ride home talking to my friend Danny about other messiahs some orthodox sects recognize. I've probably spoken too soon about my thoughts and too little about my experiences.

Thanks for reading, anyway.

Shalom,
Eric


3 comments:

Drummergirl said...

KEEP GOING... you're on to something there Eric. This is the beauty of understanding what I told you was told to me "my love comes in many forms... " remember??? I sense that some part of you may be struggling with censoring so as not to offend your Christian sensibilities... trust me, what you're experiencing is real learning, and real compassioin and real KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING. This is the stuff people need to realize in order to truly transform within themselves... this is the stuff that will enable you to truly reach people's hearts. This is what it means to be able to stand in truth and not have to condemn others in order to feel the "rightness" of what you're doing. Do you remember Malcolm X's epiphany in Mecca? Remember how his trip to the holy land transformed the way he thought about everything? This is what I see happening with you. You're on to something... keep going.

Love you... Mom

silverbenz said...

I think I've finally learned to sign in. All is well here and we have been keeping up with your travels although I had problems trying to sign in. Had a great vacation at Myrtle Beach in SC a couple of weeeks ago. Cousin Wanda had her laptop with her so we accessed your site and both she and Bonnie were really proud of what you are doing. Wanda posted your blog site on the Hundleyfamily website, so you'll probably get comments from some family members you are not familiar with. Sounds as though you are really enjoying the culture and I sort of thought your eyes looked a little blurry at the wine festival. Don't do too much tasting.(smile)Wow, what biceps you are developing. Is that from the gym membership or were they always hiding under the shirt? You look good. I cannot express the feelings I get every time I read your blog and see your face on my screen. You have truly been blessed and I hope this experience will not only broaden you life but will keep you true to your christian beliefs. You are getting a lot of information in a short period of time, so digest it slowly and wisely.

Love you much and stay safe,
Grandma A.

lily said...

Hey Eric!
Those last two entries were really interesting to read. It sounds like we'll have some more interesting religious conversations in the future. I am really glad that you are using this opportunity to really evaluate your beliefs and learn more about others. It sounds like just what you were hoping for!

I'm here at UD, just moved in yesterday. Our room is AWESOME! We'll try to post pics sometime soon. It's been really nice seeing old friends and getting back into the swing of things. Tomorrow is my first day of class.

Miss you lots!!!
-Lily