Saturday, August 11, 2007

Episode 04: "The Relics" (+)

I guess last weekend was the start of the big-time adventures here. A bunch of us went out to tour Old City Jerusalem, which was a fantastic way to start off the major outings. Unfortunately, I have next to zero knowledge of old school Jerusalem's history, so I went widely unprepared. We did have a tour guide named Guy to take care of that, but he would say things like, "This is rumored to be the place where Jesus had his last supper," and needless to say I was caught completely off guard. He talked about David's strategy in claiming Jerusalem, cultural nuances that jump-started its architecture, and a bunch more I was completely in the dark on. I don't even have the Jerusalem stuff in the Old Testament covered in full. Plus, even with Guy as a bit of a library, I wasn't paying close enough attention, so most of my trip that day was about how beautiful everything was, rather than its historical significance. I'm regretting that a little.


This is Guy, my tour guide.

Anyway, Guy's as nice as he looks. Really funny, probably brilliant with history in that head of his. When our tour first started, he asked our group who wanted to read from the Bible. I was standing right next to him, but I assumed he meant in Hebrew, so I said, "Ooooh, I would if I could." Guy told me I was his pick, and he told me to read a section of the Bible with drama in my voice. I was too embarrassed to read it emotionally, but I did my best to make it regal. Throughout the rest of the day, whenever he needed someone to read a Bible quote, he picked me to do it. The rest of the time, we checked out rooftops, passageways and slick views of the city's ancient sprawl. Even though I didn't absorb the history, it was still great to see.


Want to know the significance of this
particular menorah? Look it up, 'cause I got nothin'.


These structures are probably really important.


The answers to life's questions could be down there.
I wouldn't know.


Guess I did have some knowledge about this part--
the wall dividing the territories at the top of
this hill. Israel built it. Hilarity ensued.

I had a great time talking with people as the tour went on. I got to chat with students named Orin, Paul, Matt, Sarah, the second guy I've met here named Eric (I call him Eric III now), and others. The social stuff was a top contender for "highlight of the trip," among having a close rooftop view of the Dome of the Rock (I think my camera battery died by then) and seeing the Western Wall (my battery was definitely done by then, otherwise I'd have pictures of it).

Being at the Western Wall, or the Wailing Wall/Kotel, was amazing. Men had to enter one side, women another. All around me, people were standing close, orthodox guys reciting from prayer books, others whispering their needs. I had my own prayer written on a slip of paper, and I whispered it out loud before sticking it into the wall. Afterwards I checked out a part of the Wall that was almost enclosed from the outside. Hundreds of orthodox Jews were inside, some grouped together for prayer, some not. I sat inside for a minute, praying myself. It was all pretty breathtaking.

There was more that weekend, but maybe I'll touch on it later. The Western Wall was kind of a finale to the most important stuff, and I'm glad I went. It's incredible there. I'll try to get pictures for you next time I go, but if not, just try to remember: Jewish holy site. Hundreds of prayers uttered simultaneously. Wishes tucked in the cracks of rocks aged millenniums.

Gold, my friends.

Shalom,
Eric

3 comments:

Drummergirl said...

Hey.. you're hilarious! The pictures are beautiful and your description of the wailing wall makes me want to come and see it right now!

Why am I not surprised that you were the one asked to read the Bible? I'm gonna ask you this one more time: Who are you? You can tell me-- really!!!!

Before I forget... if you notice dwindling comments to your entries it may be because the blog doesn't always let you sign on with your password. Gramma said she's been trying to get back on since her last entry and she hasn't been able to. Personally, I always have to try 2 or 3 times, change the password, type the stupid squiggly secret code they tell you to type (have you seen it? the letters look like they're in a lava lamp or something...what's that about?)

Vance also asked for your blog, so you may be hearing from him as well...just hope he can sign in ok. I know that other folks have been in to read your stuff... Geri, Joyce, Miriam, Carol (cousin from Williamsburg)and it's also being posted on the Hundley family site. (you know how we do!)

So it looks like The Papa is the only one who can get in without any problems... who knew?!

Ok... keep em comin... love reading about your adventures.

love....the mama

Papa said...

OK - what you have to do it sign in anew each time: type in your e-mail address, type in your password (Twice), use whatever name you used the first time, figure out your lava lamp word, and accept the terms and conditions. Jeez, if i can do it - well you know he rest.

Eric - sorry to digress to educate the masses. I check your blog first thing in the am - gets me reconnected. Good to talk to you yesterday too. Had me cracking up with your latest entry - too bad you missed out on the secrets of life part of the tour. That might have come in handy.

Be well.

Ro

Drummergirl said...

He's a real smart aleck ain't he, the Papa.

So as not to turn this into an airing-dirty-laundry-blog... I'll just say this...FINALLY... he gets the Info Tech thing on his own! Allelujiah (and Iknow that's not how it's spelled!)

tee hee!

Love you both.. the mama