Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Episode 29: "The Dance Party" (+)

Decorations.

Space.

Snacks.

The dance party was ready to roll. It was the first party I had ever thrown, and the "Eric" nuances were obvious. Zero alcohol provided. Hip hop from the laptop. Consent from the neighbors. All that was left were the actual people.

I had worried about that last part the night before. A friend of mine was having her birthday party on the same night--meaning that even if enough people showed to make my party a success, I'd be taking people away from hers. I was close to giving myself the usual guilt trip when my friend Becca came to the rescue:

"Eric," Becca said. "She doesn't have a monopoly on the entire night."

There's nothing like a friend saying exactly what you need to hear.




The trickle of people at the beginning really turned into a boom about ninety minutes in. The crowd was so packed that the speakers weren't loud enough to hear anymore. Enter this man:

Jeremy, the man with the bigger speakers.
This hero done saved my party.

And so the show went on. There was one point when my flat-mate Corina turned off the music and got everyone's attention, though. With Roni, another flat-mate, standing among the crowd, Corina announced it was "Roni Time" and turned on a song with lyrics Roni absolutely hates. Everyone cheered and Roni tried to split, but a friend kept her prisoner. Embarrassed as she was, Roni started dancing and really made the most of it. Big props, and only one of the several silly moments of the night:

Nati wasn't ready for this jelly.

The Macarena, back from the dead.

I don't even know.

The party was a success. Pretty much all of my good friends showed up, the music was kickin' (due to the combined efforts of Jeremy and myself), and I saw smiles on everyone's faces. It's really one of my fondest memories of this trip so far.

No cab fare, no cover charge, no bouncers and no bad techno. Just good friends and great music. Brotha can't ask for much else.

Shalom,
Eric

3 comments:

Drummergirl said...

Wasn't ready for this "jelly?" that's a new one. I'm afraid to ask what it means.

So uuummmmm...what happened to the streaming video? U take videos of places where there's absolutley nothing going on (and it's supposed to be that way), and then for all the action scenes (like a party, hello????), ya got nothin. Thought I taught u better than that! :-)

Hilarious entry. Keep em comin...
luv
ma

Sophia said...

heyhey! You used some of my pictures....haha, sweet :)

-Sophia

Kayla said...

eric, it was really nice to read some of your blog. it is beautifully written and it really makes me miss israel. your description of christmas in the holy land is inspiring (regardless of my religion, clearly). i miss you and wish you all the best in the future. much love!